It’s starting to feel more like home. But the relative quiet that we’ve had is probably not going to sustain for the next week or two. Of course, I try to remind myself that I’m in Maui… nothing happens fast. I’m convinced that everyone is waiting for a shipment of something or the other. Maybe that is the real reason things are slower on Hawaii; everyone has learned to just wait for the shipment.
- Yesterday the new refrigerator arrived. The one that came with the house was a side-by-side with the front water/ice dispenser. Unfortunately, when I tried to hook up the water line, it leaked like a sieve. It was noisy and the freezer door did not automatically close, resulting in water leaking which would not be good when the hardwood floors are installed. I checked out Lowe’s, Home Depot and Sears for new refrigerators. After research, I decided that I needed the features we had on our last refrigerator. Consumer Reports gave a Sears model a Best Buy rating as well as Star Energy rating (energy costs in Hawaii are very high). I had decided to pay the extra $300 to get a stainless steel model with a fancy door. But it’s not in stock.. not even in stock in Honolulu…it would take 6+ weeks…what about the white model…in Honolulu… but would be next week…what about this variation…and that variation… I ended up getting the basic white model with no special bells and whistles because it was available in Maui. It was the most cost-effective model available that met requirements. And after much frustration and 4 trips to the hardware store, I got the plumbing to the ice dispenser working and not leaking.
- Tomorrow the new flooring is supposed to be installed. Well part of it anyway. Carpeting going in tomorrow is similar to the one I really wanted but that was on the boat waiting to be released… sometime early next week. They only had 44 of the 50 boxes of bamboo flooring in stock to do the whole house so we’ll do the great room upstairs and save downstairs for later. There are a couple other special pieces on special order and or backorder. I was going to do the installation myself except for stairwell but decided to pay to have it done because of my elbow problems. To save a little and make my budget, I will do the moulding myself; I’ve wanted a good reason to buy a mitre saw anyway;-)
- My car should be in Maui today; hopefully I’ll be able to get it sometime this week.
- Who knows when the furniture will show up? The moving company said last week that it was on a boat but they had no estimate. It may be on the same boat as my car. Then we need to find movers to help us move things in.
- My painting projects are far behind schedule due to my elbow problems. Colors picked out and much of prep work is done. But the actual painting is a really bad repetitive activity which kills my arm. Will now take more prep time to protect floors but I’m used to that. I’ve got about 1/4 of the garage 3/4 done. Good news is that my estimates are dead on. Bad news is that I work a few hours and have to take several days off!
Is a busy week an oxymoron in Maui? We’ll see…