Recently, I’ve been getting into listening to podcasts. The criteria that I’ve used to date for selecting them has been:
- MP3 or MP4 format (so I can load on my IPod)
- Content of some interest
I listen to podcasts while I’m running, housecleaning, painting, gardening… and they make the time go faster. Sometimes the content holds nothing of much value and other times I’ve gone back to listen to it again!
Though I’ve done podcasts before for various purposeful reasons, I haven’t done them for entertainment and inspiration. I put most the podcasts I listen to into 3 classes:
- Really good. Like the subject and the speaker and will listen to more topics! I don’t necessarily agree with the speaker but they inspire my to think!
- Entertaining. Not the best subject or speaker but found it entertaining. Would listen to again if the subject is of interest.
- Fast forward. Can’t stand the speaker or content is overly religious, one-sided or just plain stupid.
I got started into this when FlyLady started weekly radio programs on World Talk Radio. Then I found there are Podcast search engines. There is a lot of Podcast content on ITunes. You can subscribe to get regular news. Some people start a podcast and don’t continue with it. I tend to look for people that regularily post something new. Some podcasts are video which is ok but really takes my complete attention which is not my preference. So here are a few of my favorites to date:
- Steve Pavlina: Steve is a computer programmer turned personal coach. His content is coaching on self direction, time management and variety of business issues. He sometimes is a little preachy but he makes you think. His wife’s podcasts on Lucid Dreaming and Intuition were good.
- 43 Folders: Merlin Mann’s site about personal productivity, life hacks, and simple ways to make your life a little better.
- Health Hacks: Various health related topics. Often funny and challenging traditional thinking about health.
- The Fly Show: I’m a FlyBaby. This content is a combination of Dear Abby and sitting with friend over coffee. It amazes me how the simple things that the FlyLady encourages people to do really changes their lives.
I continue to look for good content. Maybe I’ll start a separate list. If you have favorite podcasts… share them with me!