People often believe that Hawaii is warm and pleasant at all times. Some people think our summers are too hot. The truth is that we do have slight seasonal differences.
So how do I know that winter is here?
- There have been reported whale sightings. Peak whale season is Dec 15-March15. We are busy at the whale sanctuary organizing and training new volunteers.
- I was up in the middle of the night and over the typical traffic and roosters there was another clear and distinct sound… the pounding surf. Yes, we live 1/2 mile from the beach but we can still hear the winter surf.
- We had a FULL rainy day! We’ve been in a drought for over a year so it has been very dry. In many areas of Hawaii, it rains a little every day. But full “rainy days” only happen during the winter.
- SNOW — yes it was reported that they had 3″ of snow on the peaks of the Big Island.
- Soon the tourists will return and all the kama’aina specials will go away. Right now many restaurants offer locals 2 for 1 dinners!