Have you ever had something happen to your laptop that is bad but your don’t want to be disabled while you send it off to be fixed?
Well over a month ago, I got a faint vertical line on my screen about 1″ in from the left side. As that first line got progressively brighter, I knew that it was just the beginning. A month later when I decided what to do about it, I had 9 vertical lines scattered across my screen.
The last time this happened, I was at Adobe and called tech support. The computer was still under warranty so they replaced the screen. Luckily, I was only without computer for a few hours.
But now, living in Maui I felt doomed. I probably could have called the handful of computer service centers and they could order the part for me and replace it. I checked for places that guaranteed return of computer in 2 days (yea right… I’m sure they have fine print about Hawaii) and was ready to pay upward of $500 without shipping to get it fixed. So I looked at what a new computer would cost. Somewhere in my searching, I found 1 place that carried the exact screen that I had in my computer. They were in New Jersey and charged $258 for my screen.
Mmm.. I’ve never replaced a laptop screen before. It says all that you need is flathead and Phillips head screwdrivers. They had pictures…well they weren’t pictures for an IBM Thinkpad but how different/tough could it be? Peter agreed to help me if we needed it so I ordered the screen. It came FedEx 3 days later.
As I looked at it, and started trying to disable my computer, I thought “Is this going to be another fiasco like Taxes“? I could see doing something wrong, frying my motherboard and needing to buy a new computer. Or worse, just having the screen not work and dragging things out even longer.
Well, it turns out that the hardest part of changing out the screen was removing the little plastic tabs that cover the screws! One went flying across the kitchen and I searched for it for at least 10 minutes! The directions said that there would be 4-8 screws to remove the bezel (frame) around the screen. On my system, I removed 3 and then carefully pried the front frame off only to see 3 more screws. I remove those only to find 4 more screws and finally the last 2. Of course I kept a picture of where they came from and each set went into a different container since there were a least 2 sizes.
I took the 2 cable connectors off and removed the old screen. Then, repeat the process in reverse. Of course I had my little Widgit trying to help! The new screen has a big tape piece that says “DO NOT TOUCH”. It is where all the circuitry is so I figured, they just didn’t want you to press hard right there. It would be almost impossible to put it in without touching that area at all. No problems and screw by screw went back in.
Ready to test…
OMG – It worked! All in all the process was pretty easy. I’d do this project again to save days without my computer AND $250!