I’m finally getting around to finishing and blogging my kitchen project. Most of the supplies are put away. My paint brush for touch-ups is still in the freezer… I really hate cleaning paint brushes! The project took 7 days and mega-hours. Peter was off to Photoshop World and my goal was to complete before he returned. I love the result!
During: At the recommendation of the lady at Home Depot and thinking about my well being and health, I decided to use latex vs. oil-based paint. Fumes are much lower, faster dry time and easier cleanup. She said that if you use the great Behr primer and Behr cabinet paint, you get close to oil-based durability. Here was my basic schedule (both plan and almost actual):
Day 1: (Peter leaves) Shopping, Removal of hardware and setup; sand and prime side 1 of cabinet doors
Day 2: Prime side 2 of all doors, sand cabinet edges and prep/tape.
Day 3: Prime cabinet edges, paint side 1/coat 1 of doors.
Day 4: Paint coat 1 of cabinets; spray paint cabinet hardware (super easy,saved tons of $$);paint side 2/coat 1 of doors. Cleanout old caulking and reapply.
Day 5: Paint coat 2 of cabinets; paint coat 2 of doors side 1. Note: each coat gets easier and takes less time to apply but longer to dry! I am disappointed that the white was “SO WHITE”; I had wanted a vanilla cream kind of color. I tried doing a glaze coat as a test but the result was looked “dirty”.
Day 6: Paint coat 2 of cabinet doors; put new hardware and apply drawers which are harder than the doors.
Day 7: Finish putting new hardware on hanging doors. Realize I’m missing piece of cabinet hardware so there is one door that I can’t hang. Peter returns at 12:30. I stop at Home Depot and Lowes while waiting for Peter’s plane and am told that the part is NOT AVAILABLE! Maybe at Maui Cabinets but they aren’t open weekends. Paint touchups and realize that I’ve got extra cabinet in garage that has same piece that I can use! YEA. (Lesson: keep track of all parts!) I decided that the WHITE was too white to bear. I’d done all this work and it was ugly. So I decided to faux paint using my “mix paint with water and rag on to walls” for faux affect. That took about 2 hours and I think it looks great (and doesn’t show Kihei dust or gecko droppings!).
My final step was to do more faux on the backsplash adding blue highlights and copper. Here is a shot of the detailed look. When the sun reflects off it at sunset, it is gorgeous and will keep me happy until I have time to tile!