May has flown by for me with 4 escrows and many school garden activities. As I thought about the “long weekend”, I recognize that Memorial Day doesn’t feel the same on Maui. There are many good reasons:
- We don’t have much military presence on Maui. That isn’t a good excuse for not honoring those who have given their lives to protect our great country and what we stand for. But many Memorial Day events are often organized by the military organizations. We have lots of events but they aren’t all “memorial type events”.
- While it is a good weekend for o’hana (family) to gather, it’s not like in many areas where families drive several hours to the lake or mountains or beach. We gather on the beach which is rarely further than 45 minutes away. Memorial Day isn’t much different than other weekends!
- In most areas, Memorial Day is seen as the kickoff to summer. With our average 72 degree temps we have no reason to kick off summer!
- There is no prepping the summer garden! In fact most of us think about resting our gardens during the hot summer. Our fruit trees continuously produce through the summer. For me that mean mangoes, sweet pomelo’s, calamansi and lemons – Every Day.
- We are driven by the tourist industry and many people don’t get holidays off. Memorial Day weekend is NOT a big holiday here but there are definitely more people here than last week.
This week has been VERY busy and I’m looking forward to a few minutes off. I’m getting ready to go on vacation “off-island” the first week of June for my brother’s wedding. I have again proven that if you want lots of business, you go on vacation. I have 4 properties in escrow with planned closing all between June 14 and July 14. It is much better to be busy than not!
We should all take a few minutes to HONOR those who have given their lives, souls, limbs and loved ones for our country.
Aloha and have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend.