This is usually the type thing I put on my personal blog but I accidentally posted it here and decided to leave it. An occasional healthy recipe never hurt anyone!
Juicing is an excellent way of producing a healthy and tasty drink. I’ve tried making this without a juicer (Dr. Oz suggested this) with little success. Buy a juicer and use it daily! The ingredients I use depend on what I have on hand but I’ve found a few guidelines that help.
- 1 citrus fruit – I use Calamansis because I have a tree in my yard, but lemons or limes work well too.
- 1-2 carrots
- Greens – ~ 2 cups of raw spinach or greens of any type
- Liquid Green – 2 cups of vegetables that are high in water content such as celery, cabbage or cucumber
- Fruit – 2 apples or sweet fruit (mangos, pineapple)
- 1 nob of ginger
- I like adding hot peppers, basil, mint just to change flavor up.
- NOTE: soft fruits like bananas or super ripe mangos do not do well in most juicers. If I have a crop, I use the blender on these and add them after juicing.
I usually squeeze the citrus first to avoid bitter pith in drink. (Calamansi’s have very little pith and can be used whole). Prepare everything by washing, pitting and cutting pieces that will fit in your juicer. Start the juicer and add a handful of greens followed by more solid pieces. Continue until done. Stir well. Pour over ice and enjoy! This makes about 16 ounces.