I just read this interesting article on blogging statistics. I don’t know how credible the data is but it is interesting. So here is how I compare to the stats:
- I started my blog officially in February 2006. This is when I left my job at Adobe Systems and was packing for my move to Maui. I needed a blog to communicate with my husband, Peter who was in Maui and I thought it would be a good way to stay connected with friends. At that time they say there were 27.2 Million blogs compared to 164 Million in July 2011.
- Hawaii doesn’t rank amongst the top states for blogging but officially I started in California where 15% of the U.S. Bloggers reside.
- I’m not a full-time blogger. I’m no longer a hobbyist but not part-time nor corporate either. Catch as catch can. I usually blog to capture something that someone else (friend, client, etc) might find helpful in the future.
- I’m in the minority as 2/3’s of bloggers are men.
- I’ve been blogging 4-6 years so I join 28% of the people. 21% have been blogging > 6 years. What is interesting is the total number of blogs goes up but the number of new bloggers is barely inching up. Maybe blogging isn’t something kids do without being paid?
- I’m shocked that 11% of bloggers earn their primary income from blogging. I would believe 11% of the people that attend the Blog World conference but not all bloggers.
- Frequency of blogs – excluding my posterous photo posts I probably average 4-6 blogs a month. But I’d like to almost double this.
- Why blog? That has evolved and changes with my life. Originally to keep in touch then to find like minded people. Now its probably to share expertise and attract like-minded clients!
- I do not use my mobile devices for blogging. 25% do.
- I don’t know what my traffic sources are but I would guess mostly Social Media (28%)
- I do have WordPress blog like 40% of the people. It started out as a Blogger blog, I tried WordPress.com but love WordPress.org. The good thing is that I’ve changed my blog and URL several times. But the content is all moveable pretty easily.
- Number of unique visitors a month? Not enough! I had to run stats. Only 150-200 average:-( I need to get that up! PLEASE HELP. Tell me what you’d like to hear about!
I’ll keep blogging. Maybe I’ll drop real estate content. Realtors are too scary. What do you think? (I’m seeing if anyone is reading this!)