We are trying to encourage people to look for island-grown produce. As I review the Tuesday paper, we have our big 3 South Maui grocery store flyers. This week, here are the local grown ads. Note: This may not be a complete list and products may not be produced locally – just my best quick assessements and assumptions!
- Okinawan Sweet Potatoes 8lbs for $10. (mmm…the ad says Locally Grown but then says imported? What’s the deal Safeway? I do know that these grow year round on the islands and are often a good local food.)
- Green Cabbage 8 pounds for $10. Same comment. I hope they don’t grow them locally, ship them to a mainland distribution center and then import them here.
- May’s Hawaiian Teriyaki Beef Patties 6lb box for $15.99
- Meadowgold drinks 64 oz. $1.49
- Hamakua Cocktail Tomato 16oz. $3.29
- Hawaiian Sun Fruit Drinks or Teas 2 6packs for $5.00
- Aloha Shoyu Soy Sauce – Gallon for $7.99
- Haleakala Dairy Iced Tea Gallon for $4.59
- Love’s Hawaii’s Hearth Breads Selected Varieties $4.29
- Love’s Regular White Bread 1 lb. $3.29
- Diamond Bakery Graham Crakers or Animal Crackers $2.99
- Meadowgold POG Gallon for $4.99
- Hawaiian Isles Kona Blend Coffees 10oz Buy 3 – get 1 free (Save $5.99)
- Menehune Water 2 gallons for $5.00
- Local “Gold” Pineapple $0.89/per pound
- Local String Beans $3.99 for 16oz.
- Local Green Bell Peppers $2.19/lb
- Cucumber $1.39/pound
- Head Cabbage $0.89/pound
- Kanai Tofu 16 oz package $3.29
- Kalua Turkey, Chicken or Pork 12 oz package $5.99
- Love’s King sized bread 16 oz $3.39
- Royal Kona Coffee (100% Kona) 8 oz $3.39
- Meadow Gold Yogurts 6 oz $0.99
- Meadow Gold nectars and POG 1/2 gal $2.99
- Meadow Gold Twinn Pops 6 pack $2.29
- Hawaiian Sun Frozen Coconut Milk 12 oz. $3.59
- Koha Frozen Mixed Vegetables 16 oz $1.69
That’s it — looks like Foodland and Star Market are neck and neck.
Of note: None of the markets advertised local fish!